Frequently Asked Questions

How do I call you on the phone?
Please feel free to call my cell phone at: area code, three, six, one, five, five, zero, fifty nine, eighty nine. The number is written in script in an effort to avoid robots.
What happened to your land line phone number?
Our land line phone number has been disconnected because of the enormous number of robot calls relative to customer calls during store hours. Please communicate via email: Thank you.
Why aren’t the prices posted on the web site?
Because of the dynamic economy resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic, it is no longer possible to provide firm prices for an entire year. Please communicate via email for any pricing you require: Thank you.
What are your store hours?
The regular business hours are 10:00 am – 6:00 pm Tuesday through Friday, please communicate via email for afterhours appointments:
What is included in the prices for bird mounts?
You should expect exceptional quality from Bob Monrief's bird taxidermy. The current state of the art of taxidermy offers many products for the mounting of waterfowl and other birds, including artificial bills, freeze dried feet and legs, special eye ring reproductions, and an array of habitat items to enhance the appearance of the finished bird mount. All of Bob's bird mounts include these types of products. Exceptional effects like water splash scenes will incur an additional cost and should be displayed inside a glass case; Bob offers these services in addition to the standard mount.
Do you provide cold storage for game or process meat?
No. We recommend using one of the local game processing facilities.
What kind of documentation is required for my specimen?
You will need to bring a copy of your hunting license in order to provide the license number for the Wildlife Resource Document which is part of your contract for taxidermy services. If your specimen was taken using a special permit, that permit number is also required. Any CITES tags, if required, should also be provided. You will need to be able to provide the name of the property upon which your specimen was taken, and identify the county or parish. You will need to provide your physical mailing address and contact information like a phone number. You will need to be able to sign a legal contract (18 years old). Please understand that migratory birds require a lot of documentation due to State and Federal regulations – Bob will do this with you.
What if I don’t have the proper documentation for my specimen, can you make an exception?
No exceptions, if the specimen cannot be properly documented, it will not be accepted. State and Federal regulations do not provide special status to taxidermists, and most regulation enforcement involves the possession of the specimen, this can include fines and possible imprisonment. Bob will not accept improperly documented specimens.
Can I drop off specimens for my friend?
Yes, but, a signed wildlife resource document is required. You will be asked to sign the contract. It is best if the owner of the specimen delivers it to the shop. With all the documentation required with migratory birds, Bob requests that the owner of the birds deliver them so they can place their signatures on the several tags, books and forms, unless this is done prior to delivery of the birds. It is possible to scan and email the required documents. Remember that possession of improperly documented wildlife is a possible violation of Federal and State regulation.
Do you accept credit cards?
No. A personal check is OK. Cash is OK. Partial payments are OK. No bartering.
Will I need to pay any deposit money up front?
Yes. A total of 50% down payment is traditional before the specimen can be mounted.
How long will it take to get my specimen mounted?
Generally it is a lengthy wait. Bob tries to get the mount completed in 8 – 12 months from the time it is delivered to the shop.
How often should I communicate with Bob during the mounting process to keep informed?
There are a few reasons to check up with Bob while you wait for the mount to be completed. If you change contact information please let Bob know your new contact information; if the pose requirement for your specimen changes, or you decide to cancel the job; please inform Bob. Bob will contact you when the job is completed. Please feel free to come by the shop any time during regular business hours, or to communicate via email for any updates:
Where is the shop?
The shop is located at 1620 Glascow Street in Victoria, Texas. This is 1 ½ miles west of the intersection of North Navarro and Glascow Street. It is on the north side of the road, located in the white metal building.
What preparations are required for international trophy shipments?
All international shipments require planning ahead. Please contact Bob in advance, he can provide you with personalized identification tags for your trophies. International shipments are routed through IAH Houston - Bush International airport, a broker agent for the tannery will clear your trophies through Customs, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, and USDA and then ship them to Victoria. The Broker is WELL Worldwide Energy Logistics in Houston, Texas. You may contact them at (281) 606-2400, ask for Lynette. You may need your AWB number (Air Way Bill). All paperwork should be forwarded through WELL.
To what address should international shipments be addressed?
Trophies may be shipped from anywhere to the tannery using the following address:
  • C/O HOUSTON FUR DRESSING - Attention Bob Moncrief
  • HOUSTON, TEXAS 77073
  • IAH Houston (Bush Intl)
  • BROKER: WELL Worldwide Energy Logistics
Please follow all rules, laws and regulations pertaining to animal trophies that require permits and CITIES approval. Bob cannot accept improperly documented trophies.
What expenses should be expected when shipping international trophies to Victoria, Texas?
Please expect to be invoiced for:
  • Airfreight charges
  • Customs Entry Service charges
  • Fish & Wildlife Service inspection charges
  • Terminal Service charges
  • Possible Storage charges
  • Cartage and Service Fee charges
  • Charges involved with USDA compliance (swine & primates)
  • Shipping from Houston to Victoria, Texas
What do these charges add up to recently?
The charges and fees outlined above do not include any service the taxidermist provides. Lately these charges collectively add up to between $550.00 to $1500.00 depending on the size and content of the shipments. The costs can be more, Bob Moncrief has no control over these costs or services.
What provisions are required when shipping primates?
If you plan to take a primate trophy, you need to contact the broker so they can apply for a CDC Permit for legal entry of the primate trophy. The broker will need the following information:
  • Hunters name, address and phone number
  • Country where primate was taken
  • Safari Company or taxidermist that shipped out the specimen
  • Species Name (example – Vervet monkey, baboon, genius and species if known)
  • List of animal parts (skull, life-size skin, etc.)
You may contact the Broker at WELL Worldwide Energy Logistics in Houston, Texas; talk with Lynette (281) 606-2400. It is important to contact the broker before the shipment arrives from overseas to avoid forced storage at a General Order Storage facility. Forced storage will result in additional costs to you. CDC can take up to or in excess of 30 days to issue primate permits. US Fish and Wildlife requires these permits in hand when the shipment arrives or the shipment is placed in GOS until the permits are produced.
If I am hunting in Texas from another area, can you expedite my trophies for me?
Bob Moncrief will be happy to serve your taxidermy needs in any capacity you want. This includes skinning, tanning and shipping unmounted trophies to your home or your hometown taxidermist. Bob also can mount, crate and ship your mounted trophies directly to your home. Whatever service you want, Bob can accommodate your taxidermy requirements.
Are there any animals that you will not mount?
Yes there are animals that Bob Moncrief Taxidermist will NOT mount. These include any animal that is protected without a hunting season or cannot be properly documented, especially undocumented animals listed as endangered or threatened by the USFWS; animals transported across governmental boundaries without proper credentials, and a few specimens listed here because of unique characteristics or issues with game meat regulations: Skunks, porcupine, amphibians, all reptiles, and skin mounts of fish.
How can I get an information package?
Contact Bob Moncrief at: and provide physical mailing address and request the information package. Bob will be happy to mail one to you.

It is hoped that this FAQ page has helped you decide to use Bob Moncrief for your taxidermy service. If you have any questions that are not answered here please call. Thank you for considering Bob Moncrief for your taxidermy services.